Aging, weight loss, and pregnancy can all take a toll on your breasts—and many women are often left unhappy with sagging or "deflated" breasts. Learn how a breast lift can help restore a more youthful lift & contour to your breasts.
- Initial Recovery Time: 10 days
- Final Results: 6 months
Richmond, VA Breast Lift
Lift your breasts to a more youthful position
It’s a truth universally accepted that our bodies, including our breasts, will change over time. Whether it’s the normal course of aging, weight fluctuation, or pregnancy and childbirth, many women start to notice their once shapely breasts are looking a little saggy or droopy. This is totally normal, but that doesn’t mean you have no options. When performed by an experienced, board certified plastic surgeon, a breast lift is a safe and effective way to lift and reshape the breasts for a more youthful look.
How a breast lift can help
A breast lift can restore a more youthful, shapely appearance by tightening the skin, reshaping the breast tissue, and raising or repositioning the nipple areolar complex as needed. If your breasts have a deflated appearance or you would like more fullness, Dr. Chen may recommend combining your procedure with a breast augmentation.
Is a breast lift right for me?
The best way to determine if a breast lift is the right option for you is to meet with a board certified plastic surgeon. During a personal consultation, Dr. Chen will examine your breasts, listen to your goals, and make expert recommendations about the perfect solution for you.
That being said, here are a few things most of Dr. Chen’s breast lift patients have in common:
- They are unhappy that their breast shape and fullness has changed as they’ve gotten older.
- Pregnancy and breastfeeding has left their breasts looking droopy or deflated.
- Significant weight loss has reduced breast volume and made breast skin saggy and loose.
Your breast lift with Dr. Chen
Your breast lift will be fully customized to your body proportions, the severity of breast sagging that needs to be corrected, and your ultimate aesthetic goals. Dr. Chen uses breast lift techniques that result in the least visible scarring, but what incision technique will be recommended for you will depend on the size, shape, and condition of your breasts.
- Peri-areolar breast lift: This incision technique is often recommended for women who have mild sagging and require subtle lifting. Dr. Chen will make one circular incision along the outer edge of the areola, resulting in a scar that is naturally camouflaged by the darker pigment of you areola.
- Vertical (or “lollipop”) breast lift: The vertical incision requires two incisions and is a great option for those with moderate breast sagging who will benefit from reshaping of the breast. One circular incision is made around the outer edge of the areola, and the other is made vertically from the bottom of the areola to the inframammary fold (natural breast crease).
- Wise pattern (or “anchor”) breast lift: An anchor lift may be recommended for you if you need more dramatic reshaping to improve significant sagging and achieve the look you want. Three incisions are made, in the shape of an anchor: one around the outside edge of the areola, one running vertically from the areola to the breast crease, and one horizontally along the breast fold.
Dr. Chen will make incisions per one of the techniques highlighted above, through which he will remove excess tissue, lift remaining tissue to reshape the breast, and reshape or reduce the nipples and areolas as needed to create a beautiful, natural looking result.
After your breast lift
You’ll wake up in a comfortable recovery room with special bandaging over your breasts. While you can return home the same day (with a designated driver!), you’ll need to take some time to fully wake up from the anesthesia. You will be sent home with specific after-care instructions, and Dr. Chen will prescribe you oral pain medication to help manage any discomfort.
Most of our patients switch to over-the-counter alternatives within just a few days—and many return to a desk job after a week or two. However, it’s important for your comfort, healing, and results to avoid strenuous activity and follow post-op instructions (including wearing any special undergarments) until Dr. Chen gives you the “all clear.”
When will I see my breast lift results?
While your final results will be obstructed by a bit of post-surgical swelling and bruising, most patients already see improvement within just a few days. Our patients report falling more and more in love with their results over the course of around four to six months, at which points your breasts should be completely healed and looking great. If you had breast implants placed during your lift, your healing time may differ based on the implant type and placement techniques.